1. | [c] 东西;物an object whose name you do not use because you do not need to or want to, or because you do not know it |
Can you pass me that thing over there? 把那边那个东西递给我好吗? | |
She's very fond of sweet things(= sweet foods) . 她非常喜欢吃甜食。 | |
He's just bought one of those exercise things. 他刚买了一副健身器械。 | |
Turn that thing off while I'm talking to you! 我在跟你说话,把那个玩意儿关掉! |
2. | [c] 物件;物品;事物an object that is not alive in the way that people and plants are |
Don't treat her like that─she's a person, not a thing! 别那样对待她,她是人,不是物件! | |
He's good at making things with his hands. 他善于手工制作物品。 | |
She took no interest in the people and things around her. 她对周围的人和事毫无兴趣。 |
3. | [pl] (个人的)用品,衣服;(某种)用具objects, clothing or tools that belong to sb or are used for a particular purpose |
Shall I help you pack your things? 我帮你打点行装好吗? | |
Bring your swimming things with you. 随身带上游泳用品。 | |
I'll just clear away the breakfast things. 我这就收拾早餐餐具。 | |
Put your things(= coat, etc.) on and let's go. 把你的衣服穿上,咱们就走。 |
4. | [sing] 任何东西(用于否定句,加强语气)used with negatives to mean ‘anything’ in order to emphasize what you are saying |
I haven't got a thing to wear! 我没有一件可穿的衣服! | |
There wasn't a thing we could do to help. 没有什么我们能帮得上忙的。 | |
Ignore what he said─it doesn't mean a thing . 别理睬他说的话,他那都是瞎说。 |
5. | [c] 事实;事件;情况;行为;话语;想法a fact, an event, a situation or an action; what sb says or thinks |
There are a lot of things she doesn't know about me. 我有很多情况她都不了解。 | |
There's another thing I'd like to ask you. 还有一件事我想问你。 | |
A terrible thing happened last night. 昨天夜里发生了一件可怕的事情。 | |
He found the whole thing(= the situation) very boring. 他觉得整件事情非常无聊。 | |
I've got loads of things to do today. 今天我有许多事要做。 | |
The main thing to remember is to switch off the burglar alarm. 最要紧的是记住关掉防盗报警器的开关。 | |
I like camping, climbing and that sort of thing . 我喜欢露营、爬山之类的活动。 | |
She said the first thing that came into her head. 她想到了什么就说什么。 | |
‘Why did you tell her our secret?’ ‘I did no such thing !’ “你为什么把我们的秘密告诉她?”“我没干过这种事!” | |
Let's forget the whole thing(= everything) . 咱们把所有事情都忘掉吧。 |
6. | [pl] 形势;局面;情况;事态the general situation, as it affects sb |
Things haven't gone entirely to plan. 事态没有完全按照计划发展。 | |
Hi, Jane! How are things ? 喂,简,近来怎么样? | |
Think things over before you decide. 先把情况考虑周全再作决定。 | |
As things stand at present, he seems certain to win. 据目前情况看,他似乎胜券在握。 | |
All things considered(= considering all the difficulties or problems) , she's done very well. 通盘考虑起来,她干得很好。 | |
Why do you make things so difficult for yourself? 你为什么这样跟自己过不去? |
7. | [c][ususing] 需要的东西;适当的东西;合适的东西what is needed or socially acceptable |
You need something to cheer you up─I know just the thing! 你需要点什么使你高兴起来,我知道什么正合你的需要! | |
to say the right/wrong thing 说得体的╱不得体的话 | |
The best thing to do is to apologize. 道歉方是上策。 |
8. | [pl] 所有…的事物;凡是…的东西all that can be described in a particular way |
She loves all things Japanese. 凡是日本的东西她都喜欢。 |
9. | [c] 生物;有生命的东西a living creature |
All living things are composed of cells. 所有的生物都由细胞组成。 |
10. | [c] (informal) (指人或动物,带感情色彩)人,家伙,东西used to talk to or about a person or an animal, to show how you feel about them |
You silly thing! 你这个蠢货! | |
You must be starving, you poor things. 你们一定是饿坏了,你们这些可怜的家伙。 | |
The cat's very ill, poor old thing. 这猫病得很厉害,真可怜。 |